Friday, 17 January 2014

John Craxton

We had a friend staying with us for a couple of days - Susan Harvey-Davies - and she was keen to see the John Craxton exhibition at the Fitzwilliam Museum.

I like the exhibitions at the Fitzwilliam.  They tend to be small and a little bit eclectic.  It was filled with young school children when we first arrived and the atmosphere changed radically when they left.

I don't know what I make of John Craxton's work.  We have a lot of examples of his paintings in various books on our shelves, whilst not owning an actual monograph on him.  Some of his work I really like, but there is a lot I really don't like.  His influences are possibly too readable.

The exhibition starts with a lovely little painting, but the main thing that is so lovely about it, is that it is very like a Graham Sutherland (in fact it was painted when he went to stay with Sutherland and is a view of the very place that produced Sutherland's own Entrance to a Lane - and has the same title).  Elsewhere can be seen little (and large) echoes of Picasso, Miro, and Braque.

Having said all that, there were paintings I liked a lot here, my favourite being a small picture - a tempera I think - of a goat.  Craxton was fond of goats and they appear in a lot of his paintings.  It is a golden rule of exhibitions that they never have a postcard of the painting you liked most and this was the case here.  I have even tried Googling for it, but nothing appeared.  I shall just have to remember how nice it was.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just thought I'd let you know that I linked to your Craxton review in my blog post here: http://artincambridge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/john-craxton-exhibition-reviews-blogs.html Great review! Nina

    ReplyDelete