Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Dracula's guest









I returned from Prague via British Airways to Heathrow and had one day at home in Cambridge before heading back to London for the autumn meeting of the Dracula Society at which I was to speak.

I was honoured to receive the Dracula Society's annual Children of the Night Award in 2009 for Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth and have kept in touch with some of the members ever since.  I was asked to contribute to His Red Eyes Again - a small anthology of short stories the Society published to celebrate its fortieth anniversary, and I was delighted when Tracy Lee asked if I might speak at the meeting this year.

The meeting took place in a suitably Dickensian pub in a little lane off the Strand near the Law Courts. A rather strange buffet was produced, with a seemingly random and never-ending selection of food and then, once the furniture was rearranged, it was my turn.

I talked a bit about my writing life and read from The Dead Men Stood Together.  I also read the story I added to the rejacketed edition of Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror - Skating.  It seemed to go down well.  As always, I probably talked too much.  But there were lots of questions and we sold a few books afterwards, which I signed.

It was a very pleasant evening and nice to meet everyone - and particularly good to see Tracy Lee and Tony Lee again.

I stayed overnight in a hotel in Charterhouse Square near the Barbican and after a leisurely breakfast I walked through Clerkenwell and Bloomsbury on a beautifully sunny and quiet London Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment