Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Upcoming events....


I thought I'd just keep you up to date with what I'm up to in the next couple of months.

The first thing is that I am signing books and talking about The Dead Men Stood Together at David's Bookshop in Letchworth on Thursday 19 September.  This will be the first event I will be doing on the back of this new book.

The following week - Thursday 26 September, I will be heading towards Lancaster to talk to Lancaster Grammar Boys school, ahead of an evening event on 27 September - Beyond Twilight - with Celia Rees, Marcus Sedgwick and Sarah Singleton, looking at the Gothic in teen fiction.  The event is organised by Dr Catherine Spooner and I did a similar event here last year with Celia.  I'm really looking forward to it - and to meeting Marcus and Sarah.  I am also being interviewed by BBC Lancashire in the afternoon of the 27th - for four minutes, anyway.

The following Wednesday - October 2 - I am doing a Booktrust librarians event in Reading where I shall again be talking about The Dead Men Stood Together.  It's always a pleasure to talk to librarians, of course.

From Reading, I will be hot-footing it over to Heathrow where I will stay the night and then hop on a plane to Prague where the Park Lane International School is opening a new campus in the old town and want me to be a guest.  I am very honoured and delighted to be returning to Prague.  I will fly out in the morning, talk to the students in the afternoon, attend the event in the evening and then fly back the following day.  Hopefully I'll see some of my Czech friends in those few short hours.

The day after I get home on 4 October, I am heading back to London on the 5th, to attend the autumn dinner of the Dracula Society as a guest and speaker.  Their Children of the Night Award (for Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth) sits on my desk and it will be a pleasure to come and talk to them.

On 9 October, I am launching The Dead Men Stood Together with an event at Heffer's Bookshop in Cambridge.  Heffer's have been hugely supportive of me - and countless other local writers - since before I even lived in Cambridge.  I'm really looking forward to that.

At the end of the month I'm doing a very exciting event.  For Halloween, I will be sharing a stage with Sally Gardner and Susan Cooper, two wonderful writers.  Susan Cooper is over from the US and I'm so pleased to be involved in one of her events.  Reading The Dark is Rising to my son was a very memorable experience - for both of us, I think.

The day, on 1 November, after that I am off to Brighton to the World Fantasy Convention where I am doing a panel event on YA fiction.  This is my first time at the Fantasy Con, so I'm intrigued

I think that's all for now - for this year anyway....




3 comments:

  1. Everywhere but Nottingham/Derby :( One day I'll meet you.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Brace yourself for obsessed fan mail*

    You are, by far, my favorite author. Though you were not the first whose books I read or the most rich and well renowned, your book have done to me what so far no author has managed to do. Of all of the books I've read (from Twilight to Animal Farm to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and all the authors who've written them (from George R. R Martin to J. K Rowling to Mark Twain to Shakespeare) your writing is the first to make me really feel something.

    While I was overjoyed when Voldemort was finally defeated, and my heart nearly broke when death fell upon any of my favorite characters, your writing is the first that has made my blood tingle and my spine freeze. Your writing is the first that has seen me through a sleepless night, bracing my eyes against the torch's sharp light as I hid under my blankets. Your books are the first that have, after I have finished them, rendered me unable to even consider beginning a new novel until at least a week after their conclusion.

    The first short story I ever wrote (which looking back now, was absolutely horrid) I wrote after I read your short story, about a carnivorous greenhouse plant. I'm not sure what book it was in, or even what it's title was, but that short story has stayed with me.

    I am only fourteen now, but I finished my first full length novel just over a week ago. When I was writing the dedication, after I had made the customary nod to my mother and father, your name jumped to mind. I feel like I owe at least part of this accomplishment to you, and your writing.

    So thank you, Chris Priestley, you are the reason that I write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Mary! One day.

    And Lorraine - wow - thank you so much for that. What a wonderful message to leave for any writer. I'm delighted to hear that I chilled your spine, but even more so to think that I have in any way inspired you to write your own work. I wish you all the best with it. I started writing short stories when I was your age - though I mostly never had the nerve to show them to anyone (and would certainly never have thought of sending them to a publisher). Some of the Tales of Terror were sketched out when I was in my early twenties and I didn't get round to showing them to a publisher for another twenty years. My advice - if you want any - is to just keep reading (as widely as possible) and keep writing and try to finish things, even if you aren't happy with the result. You are very young and you have a lot of time to hone those skills. Thank you so much again.

    ReplyDelete