Wednesday, 12 June 2013

New book, new jacket



This is the lovely cover for my next book, to be published by Bloomsbury in September this year.  It's called The Dead Men Stood Together and that title is a quote from the poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.  In the poem the narrator - the ancient mariner of the title - tells how at one point when the crew of his doomed ship have died and come back to a 'Life-in-Death', he stands beside his 'brother's son'.  My book imagines the story of that nephew.

This book, together with Mister Creecher and the book I am writing at the moment, Marley's Ghost, form a trio of books linked to stories that made a huge impact on me when I was young.  This one has been particularly interesting to write because it is based on a poem and I wanted the book to reflect the lyricism of that work.  I wanted to do justice to the original and to a poet who has fascinated me for years.

You can judge how well I achieved that goal when it comes out this autumn.

2 comments:

  1. I *adore* the cover. I can't wait to read this as the poem is one of my favourites. Plus congrats on Mister Creecher being selected (from your last post)
    take care. Heather (wife of Tom@HBS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather. The Mister Creecher was news was very exciting and I'm glad to hear you like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner so much. I hope the book won't spoil it for you!

    ReplyDelete