Monday, 30 July 2012

The day it rained forever



I was very sad to hear that Ray Bradbury passed away recently.  He is a writer I had a huge respect for - and a great affection for too.

I discovered this battered Penguin edition of The Day it Rained Forever in amongst all of our books when they came out of storage.  Just looking at the contents page sent a thrill through me.  It sent me straight back to my teens when I loved both science fiction (although Bradbury is not so easy to define) and the short story.

I still meet people - otherwise well read people - who have never read Bradbury and I am always a little surprised.  He certainly deserves to be read, and I think he still has a lot to offer today's teenagers.  Any teachers out there - try reading Fever Dream to your English class.  It is a gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment