Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Phone-hacking


I dug this old illustration out of a folio recently.  It shows that the issue of phone-hacking - now a rather large news item here in the UK - has been around for quite some time.

I did this for the Wall Street Journal some time in the late 1990s.  Mobile phone technology is not the only thing to have advanced in the meantime.  When I did this, I had to fax the rough to their offices on New York and then FedEx the artwork.

We lived in Norfolk at the time, in a rural location up a rough track that even the locals often did not realise led to houses.  It was remarkable that I managed to courier things to New York I suppose, but the process would be so much easier now of course.  I would simply be able to scan the artwork myself and deliver it via the internet.

Having said that, I long for a cheap A3 scanner to come on the market.  The massive climb in price from A4 to A3 is huge and I don't do enough illustration work now to justify the expense.  Even at The Economist, when I worked there in the 90s, the cartoonists had to work smaller than A4 to accommodate the size of their scanner!

The illustration also comes from an age when most illustrations for newspapers were still in black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment