Friday, 12 August 2011

What next?

So - I've delivered my latest book. What now?

Well there will be editing to do on The Mask of course. I had to send it without my wife looking at it first and so I suspect there will be lots of sequential things that I did not pick up as I did my final read through. I hate finding stupid mistakes in my manuscript after I've sent it, but that doesn't stop it happening. I always intend to send as clean a copy through as I can, but there are always things left behind from previous edits. It is a particular curse of writing things on a computer, I find: it is so easy to chop and change, that you can lose track of basic things like the timeline of events.

Anyway, there will be a few weeks in which the book will get passed on to editors to read before I hear what they have to say. The first response is usually a broad brush one dealing with the plot. When I have addressed those concerns, then we get on to the nitty-gritty.

While The Mask is being digested, I will be getting together my proposals for what comes after.  One of the things I hate about publishing is the fact that time seems to be eaten up by books.  The future is constantly being pulled towards the present at an unseemly rate.  The new proposals will not see the (published) light of day until autumn 2013 and 2014.  I already feel two years older, just typing that.

But as well as working on my new books, I have to look after my other ones. I have Mister Creecher coming out in October (September in the States) and I have the paperback of The Dead of Winter coming out alongside it (the hardback of The Dead of Winter comes out in the spring in the US). I'm looking forward to doing events for Mister Creecher.


In October I am in Frankfurt for the Book Fair, where the German translation of Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror - Onkel Montagues Schaurgeschichten - is up for an award. I have been invited, along with David Roberts, to attend the ceremony.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Maybe we'll even win!

No comments:

Post a Comment