Sunday, 31 July 2011

Believing what we see is boundless





















Is it possible to feel as though you belong in a place even though you don't live there or have any family connection to the area? I think it is.

I know it is.

I have been going to the Lake District off and on for over forty years now and to the same small hamlet for thirty years. There have been huge gaps between my visits, and yet the excitement I first felt on arriving there has never diminished, and what has grown alongside it has been a sense of coming back to a place I love and feel comfortable in.

My wife and son feel the same, though my son has been here only a few times. But we all have a feeling of elation when we finally arrive on the small road that runs alongside Ullswater. We have just had a wonderful week up there and it did not disappoint.

I have never been very adventurous in the Lakes. I like to walk the fells , but I have always been content to walk the local, less crowded and less celebrated Eastern fells. I don't crave novelty and I have no interest in walking with a queue of other people just because a particular fell is especially lofty or famous. I like to climb up high enough to get a view and to lose myself in the landscape. P B Shelley put it better than I ever could:

I love all waste
And solitary places; where we taste

The pleasure of believing what we see

Is boundless, as we wish our souls to be. . .

2 comments:

  1. A lovely post - your artist's eye has composed beautiful pictures, Chris. Have you heard 'Where Ravens feed' by Graeme Miles ( sung by Martyn Wyndham-Read)? The lyrics say it all for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't know that song, but I will go and find it when I get a moment.

    ReplyDelete