Monday, 1 November 2010

Cheltenham


I think this must be the longest the blog has ever gone without an update - so apologies for all those who have tuned in only to find the same old post. The reason for this is that I have been racing around from event to event and from book to book and have simply not had the time. But because of that, there is a lot of catching up to do. . .

I went to the Cheltenham Literary Festival for the first time this year. It is a huge literary festival here in the UK, though you would never have guessed that from the cab I took from the station. The cab driver had no idea what I was talking about when I asked to go to the Literary Festival.

I met Emma Bradshaw from Bloomsbury in the Writer's Room, which was like one of those preposterous paintings or illustrations where every single person in the room is famous. Apart from me, of course.

I did a well-attended event with Justin Richards who I had never met but whose work I knew. My son (and I) had both enjoyed his Invisible Detective series. We did a kind of Q&A session, read a piece each and then answered questions from the audience. The event was called Don't Be Scared and we were talking mainly about fear, real and imaginary, and the appeal of chillers.

The whole thing lasted forty-five minutes plus some time for signing, but it had taken four hours to get there and took another four hours back. It was a very exhausting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment