Monday, 27 September 2010

Nature




One of the things that excites me about writing these stories is the challenge of finding new ways to deliver a shiver.

There is something especially revolting about a monstrous threat that moves slowly. As terrifying as it would be to face a tiger or an axe-wielding maniac, at least the ordeal might not last too long.

But supposing there was a threat that moved painfully slowly; a threat that you knew was going to bring a horribly slow and painful death, but one which you were utterly powerless to stop. The crew on George's ship are trapped in the way that the crew of the ship in Alien are trapped. It's just that my monster moves at a snail's pace.

I often say that I am not really that interested in gore as a writer, but Nature is definitely at the gruesome end of my work. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment