Monday, 7 June 2010

Booked up


I had a call from Ian Lamb, my publicity person at Bloomsbury, a while back. He told me some news but also told me to keep it to myself because it was not going to be officially announced until June. Well, here we are. It is June 7 and the Booked Up list is officially announced and I am very pleased to say that Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror is one of the books. It is a real honour to be chosen.

For those of you who are not in the UK or who have missed the scheme, Booked Up is a government funded programme, in association with publishers, to provide a free book to every child starting secondary school. It is an initiative that aims to kick start a love of reading for pleasure. It is a wonderful idea and I'm very proud to be part of it.

I'm off to London on Thursday to do some filming for the website.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Chris! I recently reviewed your Tales of Terror series for PANK magazine. Thought you might be interested in a wee read of it: http://www.pankmagazine.com/pankblog/?p=4469

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kirsty. For the review and for getting in touch to tell me. Great website too. I shall have a proper snoop around tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't Iseen this book before? It looks right up my alley!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,
    That is wonderful (both about the program and the selection of Uncle Montague). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a wonderful scheme and I hope it survives the current round of cut-backs. And not just because I'm on the list! We always need to be looking forward in education, and this scheme seems to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose it's just because there are so many books in the way, Angela! I'm sorry you haven't seen it until now, but glad you've made contact. I hope you read it and I hope you enjoy it. I've just been looking at your blog. Lots of fascinating stuff there.

    ReplyDelete