Friday, 8 January 2010

Chick lit

It is good to sit down and have a proper look at what I'm hoping to achieve in the next few months. I have a love/hate relationship with this time of the year. I love it because it feels like a bit of a rebirth: there is that lovely feeling of setting out on a journey full of hope and goodwill. I hate it because I always wake up one day in June thinking, what - where the hell did the first half of the year go and who is that creepy old man in the mirror?

So - what am I up to? Well - I am at the synopsis and first few chapter stage of a new book. New books are a little like new years in that they are bursting with possibilities. Unlike new years, I don't think I ever lose excitement with a book. If I did, I would probably stop and write something else.

That's not to say that I don't ever get exasperated or frustrated or overcome with despair. It is just that I feel committed to a book and to the struggle of writing it. I rather like the struggle to be honest.

Regulars to my blog - you know who you are bless you - may remember that I planned to write a contemporary horror novel with an urban setting. Well, that plan went a little bit off piste and the book I am now hoping to place with Bloomsbury is a in fact set in the Regency period - 1818 to be precise. I was worried that having promised Bloomsbury a contemporary novel they might be a bit troubled by the change. But of course publishers want the best book you have, regardless of what you might have said six months before.

The fact is you have to go with the thing that begs to be written and this particular chick was the one that cheeped the loudest (albeit in a rather hoarse and scary voice). I want to write this book more than I have wanted to write anything for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment