Wednesday, 18 November 2009

King's


I went to life drawing at King's. I still have not lost my childish thrill at entering the college at night. The approach to the wing containing the life drawing studio is magical. Right up until you open the door and hear the thump, thump, thump of music coming from the bar and see the shabby and unsympathetic interior. Once inside you could sadly be in any underfunded institution in the land.

Of course the excitement is increased for me in knowing that M R James told his stories in a study nearby all those years ago, as Christmas treats for his friends and favourite students. What a setting. I wish my audience had to approach my stories via a huge wooden door in a vaulted gatehouse and a wide open quad lit by the glow of old lamps and enclosed all about by silhouetted pinnacles and spires.

I wish all this had an inspirational effect on my life drawing. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment