Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Prehumous fame

Josh Lacey got in touch today. Good to hear from him and I hope to meet up with him when I get back from the Lakes.

Malcolm Hardy brought the manuscript of his book round yesterday evening. There is a great deal of trepidation on both sides during the exchange of a manuscript. It is a tough thing for a writer to give up the work. But it has to be done, of course. You can't be a writer without a reader. Unless you die and have all that posthumous fame. But do you want posthumous fame, or do you want, er, prehumous?

Before I read Malcolm's tome, however, I will have to read the revised manuscript of The Dead of Winter, which came in the post today. Helen Szirtes has cast her beady eye over it and I need to see what she has to say. It's always worth hearing.

The editing process on a book is a tricky thing, as I've said on more than one occasion. You can look at your own work too long, and simply lose the ability to read it naturally or with any enthusiasm. I find it best to have a break and come back to it afresh. So when it goes away to be scoured, I do not look at it at all. I try not to think about it even.

Luckily I have such a terrible memory, this is not a problem for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment