Monday, 6 July 2009

Calderdale children's book (or rather books) of the year





I should have mentioned that we were at the annual concert of pupils organised by my son's piano teacher, Anne Marsh-Penton. As usual it was held in the chapel at Churchill College (with its beautiful John Piper windows) on a lovely summer evening, with cricket being played in the distance, long shadows and great globes of mistletoe in the trees outside. The quality of the playing from the young performers was very inspiring. I always come away with the urge to learn.

I'm off to Halifax tomorrow for the awards celebration for the Calderdale Children's Book of the Year. I have not been able to find anything about who else is on the shortlist, but it is a little confusing as the Calderdale Children's Book of the Year was awarded to Sally Nicholls in June. It seems I am in the primary age range category (though they both seem to be called the Calderdale Children's Book of the Year). Confusing, no?

Perhaps all will become clear on Wednesday at the event. I hope so. I'm staying overnight tomorrow, attending the event, and the coming back Wednesday. The journey is rather convoluted and involves three changes. It takes about four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment