Monday, 15 June 2009

Small canvases

I went in to the studio for the first time in a while. I had been itching to do some painting ever since going to the Sickert exhibition, and so I got my paints out and had a play around with some very small canvases I bought a while back. I am painting in acrylics because I want to be able to layer colours quickly. Acrylics have many drawbacks, but I have used them for a long time and the ones I am using at the moment - Golden acrylics - are pretty good.

Working small is tricky. If you are not careful, you can end up getting tighter and tighter. The trick is to try and work the same way as you would if you were painting a large canvas. It is worth the effort I think. I love paintings that take up a whole wall, but actually I think I am often drawn to small works. I like that feeling of being pulled into something. Small paintings can be jewel like.

The other advantage for me is that I only have an A4 scanner so it means that I can scan the works directly and not force them through another process by photographing them. If I ever come up with anything I like, I'll post it up for you to have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment