Saturday, 27 June 2009

Rocking in the free world


I watched the film of Atonement yesterday. I am still not quite sure what I make of Ian McEwan as a writer, but I certainly enjoyed the novel when I read it. But watching the movie, I found myself wondering a lot of the time what someone would make of it had they not read the book. I'm not sure it stands entirely on its own merits.

That said, the tracking shot of the chaotic scenes on Dunkirk beach was great. My father was at Dunkirk, so I am always interested in trying to visualise that event. Ian McEwan wasn't there of course and neither was the director, so authenticity is a moot point. It felt right, is the best you can say. The film as a whole just seemed a bit rushed though, somehow. It is nearly always the case that a novel has too much going on (if it's any good) to be easily translated into a movie.

Not that I would want to put anyone off who is thinking of making a movie out of one of mine.

I caught a bit of Neil Young's set on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage. Neil Young's stage persona always reminds me of an orangutan who has just found an electric guitar and can't quite decide whether to eat it or mate with it.

I don't mean that in a bad way, you understand.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I really liked the movie, but I haven't read the novel.

    And about the children being portrayed as evil in a lot of movies... I think this is past clichè now.

    I really liked "The Orphanage" though.

    xo
    Frini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frini - The Orphanage was fun wasn't it? And I'd recommend Atonement - the novel that is. I don't think Ian McEwan is nearly as good a writer as he is made out to be, but that story works. The movie seemed very slight and hurried in comparison.

    ReplyDelete