Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Fireworks






I went into the studio again today. There are the usual signs of John having been in but I was on my own for most of the day until Lynette popped in briefly. On the way in I nearly rode my bike over a sparrowhawk as it collected its prey in the gutter in Hope Street. Not much hope for the blackbird it was flying away with.

BBC Audio wants to do Tales of Terror from the Black Ship which is great. Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror was done very nicely. It is always fascinating to hear your work read by someone else.

And speaking of the Black Ship, I heard from Sarah that it is shortlisted for the Salford Children's Book Award and I'm invited up to the awards ceremony in January 2010. I'm already looking forward to it.

I've got a few school visits coming up. I'm at Burntwood School in south London next week where the librarian Taskeen Siddiqi has organised a shadowing event for the Carnegie Medal. The week after I am off to two schools - Oundle in Peterborough and Parkside here in Cambridge.

I went for a drink with Peter Kirkham. We talked about music mostly, which is a shared passion of ours and then we wandered up to the top of Castle Mound and watched the St John's firework display, which clearly cost several thousand pounds. It was a spectacular viewpoint looking out over Cambridge and the fireworks were great.

1 comment:

  1. I finished reading The Black Ship a couple of days ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not exactly your target audience (I'm 31) but I listen to a great deal of audio books in work - I sit at a desk all day - and I would definitely buy The Black Ship in audio format.

    I listened to Death And The Arrow audiobook, and I thought that was read brilliantly. I wonder though, do you get to say if you don't think it is read very well? The reason I ask, is because I listened to an audio book of Larklight by Philip Reeve and the narrator made such a hash of the different characters' accents that it made for awkward reading.

    ReplyDelete