Tuesday, 5 May 2009

People ain't no good

OK - so here is my alternative list of sad songs. It is by no means exhaustive and clearly I could have filled the entire thing with Nick Drake and Leonard Cohen songs. I have restricted it to some of the things I happen to have on my iPod. Otherwise I will spend the next few days hunting through CDs instead of doing any work. It's a eclectic mix and I have realised I do not have enough soul music on my iPod. I've even included a Carpenters cover - Superstar by Sonic Youth:

Hope There's Someone - Antony & the Johnsons
In Spite of All The Damage - The Be Good Tanyas
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times - The Beach Boys
Racing in the Street - Bruce Springsteen
Be My Wife - David Bowie
Otis - Durutti Column
My Very Best - Elbow
Can't Make a Sound - Elliot Smith
Walking Wounded - Everything But The Girl
Fotheringay - Fairport Convention
Red, Red, Red - Fiona Apple
Man of the World - Fleetwood Mac
You're With The Wrong One - Fried
April 14th (Part 1) - Gillian Welch
When Mac Was Swimming - The Innocence Mission
Fever Dream - Iron & Wine
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Something On Your Mind - Karen Dalton
This Woman's Work - Kate Bush
Outclassed - Kathryn Tickell
Winning a Battle, Losing The War - King's of Convenience
Steve McQueen - Lambchop
Take This Longing - Leonard Cohen
Sweet Old World - Lucinda Williams
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Madeleine Peyroux
Far Away - Martha Wainwright
I'm Goin' Down - Mary J Blige
Better Things - Massive Attack
Chasing After Deer - Midlake
Don't Let it Bring You Down - Neil Young
People Ain't No Good - Nick Cave
Time Has Told Me - Nick Drake
Birdland - Patti Smith
Sour Times - Portishead
Sad Professor - R.E.M.
Nude - Radiohead
Beat the Retreat - Richard & Linda Thompson
Shipbuilding - Robert Wyatt
Jealous Guy - Roxy Music
Teardrops Will Fall - Ry Cooder
Farewell, Farewell - Sandy Denny
The Only Living Boy In New York - Simon & Garfunkle
In The Arms of Sleep - Smashing Pumpkins
Orion Obscured by Stars - Smog
Superstar - Sonic Youth
It's A Sad & Beautiful World - Sparklehorse
Tonight I Feel So Far Away From Home - Steve Forbert
Romulus - Sufjan Stevens
Heaven - Talking Heads
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Them
Song To The Siren - This Mortal Coil
Song To The Siren - Tim Buckley
Patchwork - Tindersticks
Pale Blue Eyes - Velvet Underground
Mary Of The Angels - Willard Grant Conspirarcy
Confusion - The Zutons

There are some great songs in there - but I'm not sure I'd want to hear them all one after the other! I have particularly fond memories of Nick Cave's People Ain't No Good - my son and I used to sing that on the way to primary school in the mornings.

Ah - happy days.

Here's This Mortal Coil with Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment