Monday, 27 April 2009

Frosted skull



I went to the studio today. Although the day started well, it was drizzling by the time I set off on my bike. Cold too.

It still feels odd being back in the studio and using the artistic side of my brain. I love drawing. I love just moving a pen or a pencil or a brush over a piece of paper. It has been a kind of comfort thing to me ever since I can remember. Doodling is definitely a basic need of mine.

I've been playing about with this frosty skull effect, drawing it in black ink, reversing it out then colourising it on Photoshop.

2 comments:

  1. These skull illustrations are great - there's something rather chilling about them, if you'll pardon the pun.

    Compositionally I think the top image works best, although the skull is a more complete shape on the lower one. Regardless, I'd love to know if there's a story to go with the drawings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like them. And I agree with you about the two images. It is one of those things that is hard to control and you just have to keep doing them until you get one you like.

    The story behind them is that I was trying to come up with a suitable image for the cover of my new book The Dead of Winter. The story - as the title suggests - has a frozen, winter setting and I wanted to come up with something that said 'spooky winter tale' without being too specific about details of the plot (and might catch your eye in a bookshop).

    ReplyDelete