Tuesday, 31 March 2009

Buy your own movies!

There has been a lot of fuss over the last few days about our fun-loving Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, whose husband watched a couple of blue movies and the charge later appeared on her expenses sheet at the House of Commons.

We have all been enjoying her embarrassment of course, and the delicious irony of a government so invasive of the privacy of its citizens being exposed in this way. It almost makes me want to be a political cartoonist again.

But personally I think the real outrage here is that the Commons passed, as a legitimate expense, the watching of any movies, whatever the type. Who cares what they watch in the privacy of their own home, as long as we're not paying. I am just as annoyed that my tax money was used to pay for Surf's Up to be quite honest. And there can be little excuse for watching Oceans 13 once - but twice? At my expense!

The affair of Leander Deeny, Newton Compton and the Uncle Montague cover is with the Bloomsbury lawyers, so it would be inappropriate of me to comment further.

But watch this space. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment