Thursday, 12 February 2009

Waterland




Flood alert. I set off to the cinema to meet John and found the path led to a fast flowing river. There can be few things more redundant than a bridge that leads to water. Actually it sounds like a Buddhist aphorism doesn't it? Life is but a bridge that leads to water. Death is just a bridge that leads to water. Maybe not.

So - I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire more than I had expected to. The words 'feelgood movie' always fill me with a particular dread. But I quite liked that conceit of using the questions in the studio and the interrogations of the police to tell the story of the character. It was Kurasowa-like. And the performances were great.

It didn't make me want to go to Mumbai in any kind of a hurry though.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just popping by because I love your Tales of Terror. I've just posted the Black Ship review on Un:Bound and am looking forward to another volume of creepiness and gruesome death. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Thanks for getting in touch. I'm really glad to hear you've been enjoying the tales of terror. The new batch lurches out from the shadows in October and I like to think its the best one yet. Hope you'll agree.

    ReplyDelete