Tuesday, 24 February 2009

A pain in the neck

I sat down at my desk yesterday and my neck seized up and it became increasingly painful to do any of the looking up blankly into space that I normally do. I have been getting a lot of pains recently - in my left shoulder and in my elbow. It is either to do with the a) unsuitable seat I sit in, b) the fact that I am horribly old and worn out, c) that I am unusually stressed at the moment. Or all of the above.

But the show must go on. Being a professional writer/illustrator/cartoonist or whatever is obviously defined by getting paid for the work - but another big part of it is that you do it whether you feel like it or not. There is no mileage in throwing a sickie when you are self-employed.

My neck works a little better today after some exercise and ibuprofen. My friend Tom Pitchford - librarian from Hitchin Boys School - sent me a link I'm going to share with you. It is for a designer called M S Corley who has redesigned the Harry Potter covers in the style of old Penguins.

Take a look - they are very nicely done. The Lemony Snickets are good too.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your "pain in the neck" perhaps a Ostopath would help settle it down also if you have been doing a lot of running that could be the problem!
    anyway interesting posts as always and hope you can work through any discomfort
    I know all about necks and backs from personal experience of a ongoing chronic condition,

    ReplyDelete
  2. go to an osteopath! do not delay

    on another note, I still never found your email to send a dinner invitation... can you email me on maggdawn (at) gmail (dot) com

    see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for the interest in my back and blog. I have been crunched by my fair share of psycho - sorry osteopaths in my time. But yes- I ought to do something. Buy a better chair might be a start.

    Ans yes - I'll be in touch Maggi

    ReplyDelete