Wednesday, 31 December 2008

Enough already

I suppose I must have had the same New Year's resolutions for about thirty years - don't worry, I'm not going to bore you with them. Having failed to attend to those resolutions, I then add more, so that I am now like Marley's ghost, dragging chains of these things, each link a reminder of some perceived inadequacy or shortcoming.

The other thing that seems to have happened as I have become older is that the list of things I feel I ought to start doing on a regular basis now far outweighs the things I think I ought to stop doing. I don't so much have bad habits now as bad character traits - or at least character traits I have decided I would be better off without.

Maybe I'm too boring now. Maybe I ought to do a kind of reverse resolution list: I must be more aggressive to complete strangers. I must eat more red meat and exercise less. I must drink more and learn to juggle with knives. I must swear more. I must totally lose contact with all my friends and family. I must try and be less tolerant of other people's stupid ideas. . .

But enough already. I hereby pardon myself from all my past unresolved resolutions. In fact this year, my new New Year's resolution is not to make any New Year's resolutions.

Apart from that one.

The one about not making any.

No comments:

Post a Comment