Thursday, 6 November 2008

Carnegie Medal

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror has been longlisted for the Carnegie Medal. I was told about this by Sarah Odedina the other day but thought I shouldn't pre-empt the announcement by the CILIP. Congratulations to Celia Rees for her nomination for Sovay. If you want to see the other books on the list and those up for the Kate Greenaway, then go to the site and have a look.

I went to Will Hill's private view at Clare Hall this evening, cycling through the drizzle with my son. Will's work was great and what a nice gallery. Martin Salisbury was there and it is always good to catch up with him. We were comparing our trips to South America. Martin went to Venezuela with the British Council some time ago. We both seem to have come back with the same frustration at not having seen more. We'll both just have to go back.

It was good to see Lisa Kirkham there, though she sounds completely snowed under with work - a victim of her own success it seems (or her inability - shared with most freelancers - to say no). Lisa is a typographer and designer and absolutely passionate about (and hugely knowledgable about) children's books. She doesn't have a website so I can't send you her way, sadly - although she was telling me that Peter's blog is attracting notice. I'm not surprised. As I've said before - it's great.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic news Chris - congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Chris. My name's Mat Tobin and I am a Year 6 teacher at a Primary School in Wantage (Oxon). I have been running a Book Group for Two Years now and we have decided to look at 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror' after I was asked to write a review of your latest release for the Writeaway website.
    There are 30 kids that come to the Reading Group (too many and 3 times more than last year) and they're very excited about getting together and chatting about it. It's nice to see about 7 copies of your book dotted around my classroom (the group is exclusive to Year 5 and 6).
    I'll let you know how the meeting goes when we get together late January. All the best with your successes. Here is a link to my review:

    http://www.writeaway.org.uk/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,3885/Itemid,99999999/

    'Tales of Terror from the Black Ship'

    ReplyDelete