Friday, 3 October 2008

Botafogo

Today I am in the Botafogo site of the British School in Rio, the orginal and oldest part of the school. I am being looked after by Raquel and Frederico who are dressed as Cleopatra and Dracula respectively, because they are having a costume day today when the children and staff have dressed up as characters from books or from history. I met Fred on Monday when we all went for a drink, but I have not met Raquel before today. She, like all the librarians here, is very friendly and supportive and she is so passionate about books and her library. It`s great.

Last night I went to Merche's bookshop - the Jamer Bookshop - and signed the stock of Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror. Then we went to see Kiss Me Kate, the school production at Urca. I have to say I was not overly enthusiastic about going to a school production, but it was incredibly well done. The singing in particular was fantastic. I was really impressed.

I came in with Merche today. She has been fantastic, driving me all over Rio and looking after me. We got back late though, so it was a bit of a shock to the sytem to wake up this morning after not quite enough sleep. But it was worth it just to see sunshine. There had been a rosy sunset last night and I was glad to see that the old 'red sky at night, shepherd's delight' thing applied in the suthern hemisphere. It is a lovely morning.

It is my last day here in Rio, so I plan to meet Mimi at Urca later and go up Sugar Loaf as I missed it yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment