Sunday, 21 September 2008

Tess

The BBC have an excellent adaptation of Tess of the d'Urbevilles on at the moment (which I will miss when I'm in Rio). When I say it is excellent, I mean the acting and direction is excellent, which is ususally the most you can hope for in one of these things.


I have a bit of a thing about costume dramas. Seeing people in bonnets and bodices immediately makes it look safe and olde worlde, despite the fact that the books involved were often far from safe when they were written. There was nothing safe about Hardy, for instance.

But what came through most strongly watching it, was just what a fantastic writer Thomas Hardy was - for all the clanging of tortured coincidences and the torturing of his characters, he created an absolutely compelling world. It makes me want to re-read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment