Friday, 16 May 2008

Proofs and roughs

I got a call from my editor, Helen Szirtes, today. She was ringing to go through my notes on the proofs for Tales of Terror from the Black Ship and to point out yet more anomalies and errors we had not spotted earlier.


This really was the last conversation we are going to have about changes to the text until it goes into paperback. The fine tuning on a book is so important, but that is exactly why I find it so exhausting and stressful. Writing a book is like walking down an endlessly forking path: it is as much about dismissing options as it is about choosing them. If you are not careful you can begin to doubt those decisions you made early on to go down one path and not another.


At the end of the day Helen sent me a batch of roughs from David Roberts of illustrations for the book. I can't show you them - it isn't really fair on David to show his roughs - so you will just have to take my word for it that they are looking great.

No comments:

Post a Comment