Wednesday, 14 May 2008

Never fall in love with your own work

I seem to have at least one conversation every day about the pointlessness of the SATs or the frustrating state of the English education system. I have been a governor in two different primary schools in England and have seen many more visiting as an author and as an illustrator. I have a huge respect for teachers and for head teachers. But that does not mean I necessarily have a huge respect for the way they are asked to teach.

I basically spent today's painting session in my studio painting over most of what I did yesterday (which in itself was painting over what had been done before). The trick to painting - to my sort of painting anyway, and to the sort of painting I admire - is not to fall in love with what you are doing. Don't like it too much that you are not willing to change it entirely. Don't be influenced by people walking past and saying, 'I like that.' It's nice to hear people like your work, but it shouldn't influence you one tiny bit.

Peter Kirkham sent me some more moth pictures. They are fantastic and I shall put some of them up as soon as I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment