Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Is Hellboy a Christian?

I went to the studio today, switching my working day around. Instead of writing in the morning, I went across town and did some painting. I got back to the landscapes I had been working on a few weeks back. I had deserted them in favour of some strip and illustration ideas I had been playing about with. The Peter Doig show had really inspired me - both to get back to painting and to be a bit more fearless.

I spoke to Helen at Bloomsbury and she said that David Roberts had been working on Tales of Terror from the Black Ship and we might see some roughs by the end of the week. I'm really intrigued to see what he has come up with.



We had some interesting debates in Art Club today. I was getting the children to copy some Mike Mignola drawings just to see what they could learn from such a controlled style. To my great surprise this prompted a lively discussion about whether Hellboy is a Christian or not.


No sooner had we moved on from that controversy when I was asked did I know the band called Queen. Yes I did, I said, wondering where we were going with this one. 'Were they from the 19th or the 20th Century?' That the question came from a Year 6 in SATs week is a little worrying.

But I do like the idea that Queen was a 19th Century band.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant, just brilliant! It just shows you should never assume that the younger generation have any idea what you are blathering on about when discussing what you consider to be popular culture.

    ReplyDelete