Friday, 11 April 2008

The hip bone's connected to the candlestick

OK, OK - so the That Much I Know thing that had the nice Kyle MacLachlan quote was in The Observer magazine, not the Guardian. It was still good though.

And while I'm admitting to errors, Patti Smith heard the 'angel calling' rather than 'angels' in Break It Up and it is Edgar ALLAN Poe, not Allen as I keep mistakenly putting it.

I watched a programme called Dan Cruickshanks Adventures in Architecture on BBC 2 this week. Dan Cruickshank is a bit 'Crikey', 'Golly', 'Gosh' for his own good, but I find it hard (I'm not sure why) to dislike him. He went to have a potter round the Sedlec Ossuary in what was Bohemia but is now the Czech Republic.

I first came across this amazing place in World of Interiors magazine (I think). An ossuary was built to house all the bones from the nearby graveyard. Initially they were piled up, but in 1870 Frantisek Rint, a woodcarver, was given the job of giving the place a bit of a makeover.

If you want to see the results, do a search on Sedlec Ossuary images. Here is a taster - it a huge skull and assorted bone chandelier.

No comments:

Post a Comment