Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Back in the studio

I actually managed to get back into the studio after weeks of absence. It felt good to be back at my desk with paper and pencils rather than a computer screen in front of me.

I spent most of the afternoon measuring out the dimensions of a classic four panel strip, using the standard (American) format. I have been toying with the idea of doing another strip for ages and I have finally decided to actually do something.

Developing strips is a tricky business. There are so many things to consider: the design of the characters (if they are to appear every time), the style of the drawing, the design of the type, the style of the borders to the boxes and whether all panels will be boxed. And all this is without the more pressing question of what the heck is the strip about?

I have done a few strips now, one as a writer to Chris Riddell (a strip called Bestiary), and I still do one in the New Statesman called Payne's Grey. Payne's Grey is unusual (though not unique) in having no overriding plot or linking characters. Each strip is self-contained. The only connection is my jaded world view. Here is a recent example:

No comments:

Post a Comment